Friday 1 March 2013

My Favourite Book - On The Road, by Jack Kerouac

On The Road, by Jack Kerouac, had a profound effect on me when I first read it. I was twelve years old at the time. I had heard exceedingly positive things about the book. It was seen as a hugely important piece of American literature.

The book amazed me. It's tale of young man leaving home to a world of possibilities and opportunities was wonderful. His journey felt important, the characters eccentric, yet totally believable. This is thanks, in part, to the book being based on Kerouac’s life. These events actually occurred. The book is an accurate picture of life in the 50’s as the beat generation was born and fell in love with sex and drugs and jazz.

The book reads like an exploration of newfound freedom, a trip through a new world recovering from a time of great hardship.

At its core, On The Road is a poignant coming-of-age tale. It’s gritty, honest and utterly engrossing. This is why it has stood the test of time as my favourite book.

No comments:

Post a Comment